Postural Fix: Upper Cross Syndrome

upper-cross-syndrome

Neutral Spine optimal joint alignment.

Upper Cross syndrome is a modern day epidemic. The postural imbalance consists of tight/short neck extensors (muscle of the back of the neck), pectorals (chest muscles) and arm internal rotators. Conversely neck flexors (muscles of the front of neck) are weak and elongated, as well as the rhomboids (muscles between the shoulder blades). The head protrudes forwards (flexed), the shoulders are rounded (scapular protraction) and the upper back is rounded (thoracic kyphosis). This forward head posture increases the amount of load applied to your cervical vertebral, placing unnecessary stresses on the spine that can potentially develop into a source of pain/migraine.

Prolonged use on computers, mobile phones, reading as well as an emotionally anxious/stressful disposition, can lead to this postural dysfunction. Imbalanced posture and restricted functional flexibility increase chances of injury: muscle strains, ligament sprains and nerve impingements. Joint stability is also compromised, inhibiting our strength expression. Elongated muscle cannot produce as much active muscle force and unbalanced joints downgrade neuromuscular contractions to protect themselves from injury. A joint becomes forced to move in a certain direction due to hypertonicity that can lead to chronic musculoskeletal pain (abnormal movement patterns increasing joint abrasive sheer forces). Blood, lymph and nerve flow become restricted. Even lung capacity and oxygen uptake can be reduced. Optimal posture aka a neutral spine with head tall and shoulders back will reverse these restrictions.

upper-cross-syndromePeople that are unaware of improper posture can make their condition worse when engaging in regular weights training without the guidance of a professional. Most novices focus on their ‘Mirror muscles’ that is targeting everything that they can see in the mirror (chest, biceps and abdominals) whilst completely neglecting the muscles they can’t see, the opposing muscle groups. This approach would further increase upper cross syndrome severity.

To fix this postural mis-alignment specific stretching protocols and tightening exercises can be adopted to bring tensile balance between antagonistic muscle groups. All my clientele receive regular postural/flexibility assessments and are prescribed appropriate corrective stretch routines and tightening exercises to bring about and maintain optimal posture and all its protective/performance enhancing benefits.

23 replies
  1. Funny Pig Ears
    Funny Pig Ears says:

Thank you for another wonderful post. The place else could anyone get that kind of info in such a perfect approach of writing?
    I’ve a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such info.

2. Naked Nerds
    Naked Nerds says:

Unquestionably consider that that you said. Your favorite reason appeared to
    be at the web the simplest factor to consider of. I say to you,
    I certainly get irked while people consider concerns
    that they plainly do not realize about. You controlled to
    hit the nail upon the highest and also defined out the
    whole thing without having side-effects , folks could take
    a signal. Will likely be again to get more.

3. Dirty Girl Cam
    Dirty Girl Cam says:

I’m not sure where you’re getting your info, but
    good topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more.
    Thanks for fantastic info I was looking for this info for my mission.

4. Cute Hedgehog
    Cute Hedgehog says:

First of all I would like to say excellent blog! I had a
    quick question that I’d like to ask if you don’t mind.
    I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear your thoughts
    prior to writing. I have had a hard time clearing my mind in getting my ideas out.
    I do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are lost just trying to figure out how to begin.
    Any recommendations or tips? Many thanks!

• Stephen
      Stephen says:

if your struggling to get centered i’d recommend a good meditation/mindfullness practice done just before you start writing.

To help you you begin a piece try add ing a new phase of planning/brainstorming of what your going to write about first, then work out your order you’ll discuss topics, then start from there 🙂

5. laura_cherry
    laura_cherry says:

I am extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout
    on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
    Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it’s rare to see
    a nice blog like this one these days.

6. Cuckold Cams
    Cuckold Cams says:

Just want to say your article is as surprising.
    The clarity in your post is just spectacular and
    i can assume you’re an expert on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with
    forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the enjoyable work.

7. sexygirlforyouuu
    sexygirlforyouuu says:

May I simply say what a relief to discover someone that genuinely knows what they are talking about online.

You definitely realize how to bring a problem to light
    and make it important. More people should look at this and
    understand this side of the story. It’s surprising you’re
    not more popular given that you surely possess the gift.

8. kataleyahotpussy
    kataleyahotpussy says:

You are so interesting! I do not suppose I have read a single thing like this before.
    So great to discover another person with a few genuine thoughts on this topic.
    Really.. thanks for starting this up. This website is one thing that’s needed on the
    web, someone with a little originality!

9. Squirt Cams
    Squirt Cams says:

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I to find It really useful &
    it helped me out much. I am hoping to offer one thing
    back and help others like you helped me.

10. kataleyahotpussy
    kataleyahotpussy says:

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I believed this publish was once great.
    I do not recognise who you are however certainly you’re
    going to a well-known blogger if you happen to are not already.
    Cheers!

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!